I’ve come to realize I spend a lot of time worrying, thinking, and analyzing things that really don’t matter. Like ridiculous amounts of time. For example last night on my way home, I couldn’t decide if I should go to Rite Aid and THEN take an Uber home, or go to Rite Aid and hopefully still have time to make my second train. Or … do I even need to go to Rite Aid at all (I needed tampons … yes, self, you needed to go to Rite Aid).
It’s not healthy. And I’m about to turn 30. Bitch … I cannot afford stress lines, wrinkles, and grey hair (well, more than I already have).
So after reading a super inspiring article from a writer at the Huffington Post who wrote a list of stuff she will no longer give a shit about in 2016 … I decided to do the same.
Feel free to get inspired, roll your eyes, or even add to it. I don’t care. But just like my closet, my brain needs a good spring cleaning.
So behold, the things I’m going to try my hardest to not give a shit about:
1. Caring about how many times I wear an outfit in a 2-week span (yep, because my coworkers totally keep a journal of my daily outfits)
2. Worrying about not having plans over the weekend (because there is NOTHING wrong with going to bed at 9pm on a Friday evening once in a blue moon, even though the paparazzi outside my house will absolutely write about it and make me look like SUCH a loser)
3. Trying to make sense of people who are selfish, think they are the only ones who have stress in their lives, and make you work on their schedule (unfortunately you can’t fix shitty humans just like you can’t fix stupid ones … byeeeee)
4. Being concerned that I left my hair straightener on (you didn’t … and it’s 2016, you have a hair straightener that automatically shuts off after a while … simmer)
5. Focusing on the fact that my face is broken out when I’m having a conversation with someone and all I can think while their talking is, “you’re staring at my pimple, you’re staring at my pimple.” (Hi … I’m human, nice to meet you)
6. Stressing that my life isn’t progressing like the people I follow on social media who are getting engaged, celebrating promotions, or attending awesome events (because, you know, everyone loves posting when their dog dies, how much they hate their job, or that they are having problems with their significant other)
7. Pondering if I should have a glass of wine after work even though it’s a Tuesday, and I’m trying to lose weight, but I REALLY want one… (Jesus Christ, HAVE THE GLASS OF WINE … I refuse to say “yolo” but for the love …)
8. Gaining wrinkles over the fact that I could potentially be single for the rest of my existence (or I could stay with/decide to date a complete and utter scumbag just for the sake of NOT being single … hmm decisions…)
9. Being paranoid that people think I’m a bitch. Guess what? Sometimes I am. And sometimes so are you. It happens. But overall, I like to think I’m a decent person with morals and manners (don’t let the all black wardrobe fool you). But sometimes, the bitch pants get thrown the fuck on. (Hi, again, I’m human, nice to meet you)
10. Worrying about the plans I make and situations I have no control over. Should I go? Shouldn’t I? Why can’t it be like this? Would it be bad to cancel? Wonder if it’s super awkward? Can’t I just go to Rite Aid and buy tampons later? (SHUSH, self … JUST GO … #mantra)